STEM Pipeline Blog / December 13, 2022
Great Lakes Bay Regional Alliance Launches Additional STEM Passport Locations & Holiday Scavenger Hunt
The 2022-2023 STEM Passport includes four new locations throughout the region and enhanced search capability.
Bay City, Michigan, December 12 – The Great Lakes Bay Region Alliance is excited to announce that the Great Lakes Bay Region STEM Passport just welcomed four new locations and added search functionality, enhancing STEM opportunities for youth, parents, guardians, educators in the region.
New locations added this year include: Beal City Public Schools with their robotics and Lego leagues and vocational education programs, Clare-Gladwin RESD SPARKS after school program, Delta Kids/Michigan Learning Channel and Saginaw STEM.
The Great Lakes Bay Region STEM Passport is a learning resource for 30 different hands-on, dynamic STEM activities in the community. As the holiday season makes its appearance and students go on holiday break, the STEM Passport provides a great resource to stay engaged in STEM, promote fun learning experiences and encourage exploration.
“Saginaw STEM is thrilled to officially join the Great Lakes Bay Region STEM Passport this year as we continue to expand our reach in the region and beyond,” said Dante Davis, founder of Saginaw STEM. “We look forward to growing our STEM Saturday events and inspiring students to learn and advance through STEM activities.”
Holiday Scavenger Hunt
Prizes are available thanks to donations from Nexteer Automotive and STEM@SVSU for those who post a picture on Facebook at one of the 30 locations and tag STEM Pipeline (@stempipeline). Awards include gift cards for top drawings, along with STEM activity kits. One picture equals one entry and chance to win now through Friday, January 13.
1st – $100 Meijer gift card
2nd – $75 Meijer gift card
3rd – $50 Meijer gift card
On December 30th, the first 20 people to mention “STEM Passport” at the ticket window of the Mid-Michigan Children’s Museum between the hours of 10am to 4pm will get free admission!
Locate STEM Destinations
Events for all Passport destinations along with other STEM activities can be found by visiting the Calendar page on STEMPipeline.com. The calendar can be filtered by destination, event type, age group, venue and more. Users can also view all the events for the entire month.
The Passport is a great resource for parents, teachers and caregivers to access information about current STEM-based activities and events in the region and comes just in time for the 2022 holiday break.
To date, the STEM Passport has reached over 100,000 students, fueling the next generation’s curiosity and involvement in STEM activities. Launched in 2018, the STEM Passport features numerous fun-filled and learning-rich opportunities throughout the broader eight-county Great Lakes Bay Region. After several iterations and most recently tested as an app, the searchable web-based calendar has shown to be the most useful resource in accessing STEM activities throughout the region.
“We are thrilled to expand the number of STEM activities featured on the Great Lakes Bay Region STEM Passport ahead of the 2022 holiday season. While we tested an app this past year, we found that location tracking was a limiting factor for users and that our number one resource remained our easily-searchable calendar. As such, we’ve added search features and additional locations for children and families to explore,” said Lori Flippin, STEM director at the Great Lakes Bay Regional Alliance. “Quality and ease of access to out-of-school time learning opportunities make for a thriving STEM Ecosystem and supports the next generation’s interest in STEM and we look forward to promoting regional activities via the calendar.”
STEM Passport Participants
The Great Lakes Bay Region STEM Passport includes the following locations and events:
- Arenac Community Center, Standish
- Bay City State Recreation Area, Bay City
- Bay County Library System:
- Alice and Jack Wirt Public Library, Bay City
- Auburn Area Branch Library, Auburn
- Pinconning Branch Library, Pinconning
- Historical Sage Library, Bay City
- Bookmobile & Outreach Services
- The Historical Museum of Bay County, Bay City
- Beal City Public Schools
- Beaverton Activity Center, Gladwin
- Castle Museum of Saginaw County
- Chippewa Nature Center, Midland
- Clare-Gladwin RESD SPARKS after school program
- CMU Center for Excellence in STEM Education
- Delta College Planetarium
- Delta Kids / Michigan Learning Channel
- Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational’s STEM Center
- Forest Hill Nature Area, Alma
- Marshall M. Fredericks Sculpture Museum
- Midland Center for the Arts
- Mid-Michigan Children’s Museum
- MSU St. Andrews STEAM Center
- Mt. Pleasant Discovery Museum
- Saginaw Children’s Zoo
- Saginaw ISD – Hartley Outdoor Education Center
- Saginaw STEM
- Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge/Green Point Nature Center
- T.A. Cutler Memorial Library, Saint Louis
- YMCA Camp Timbers – Saginaw / West Branch
← Blog Archives