Michigan, together with business, education, and community partners, is embarking on a journey to create a MiSTEM Network throughout the state. This opportunity grew out of Governor Snyder’s MiSTEM Advisory Council recommendation to make Michigan a world leader in STEM education.
The Council report lists four pillars as necessary components to establish a system that will produce STEM-equipped students and educators. These pillars are: create a STEM culture, empower STEM teachers, integrate business and education, and ensure high quality STEM experiences. The work of the MiSTEM Network is to build on existing STEM networks to create a STEM ecosystem that supports and implements the components outlined in the four pillars.
The East Central Michigan Prosperity Region MiSTEM group formed in 2018-2019 and has been diligently working to establish goals for each pillar. Strategic planning continues in order to develop programming for the first year (2018-19) including goals, list of planned programs by goal, assessment questions for regional performance effectiveness, and references for data gathering.
East Central Michigan Prosperity Region MiSTEM Strategic Planning Report
Executive Director, State of Michigan MiSTEM Network
- Megan Schrauben
Great Lakes Bay Region MiSTEM Committee:
- Chris Rishko, Great Lakes Bay Michigan Works
- Natasha Allen, Region 7B Michigan Works
- Deb Kadish/Doug Trombley, Bay-Arenac Intermediate School District
- Jan Amsterberg/Kathy Peasley, Gratiot-Isabella Regional Education Service District
- Jon Searles/Don Johnson, Midland Educational Service Agency
- Josh Ode/Adrianne Cole, Saginaw Valley State University
- Julie Cunningham, Central Michigan University
- Lori Flippin, Great Lakes Bay Regional Alliance (GLBRA)
- Jeff Collier/Megan Coonan, Saginaw Intermediate School District
- Sheryl Presler/Deb Snyder, Clare-Gladwin Regional Education Service District
- Rich VanTol, Bay Arenac Intermediate School District/GLBRA Out-of-School Time
- Lisa Mailette, McLaren Bay Region
- Terry Robinson, Hemlock Semiconductor
- Dennis Hoge/Julie Malesky, Nexteer Automotive
- Kelly Wehner, Case Systems
State of Michigan MiSTEM Network