- This event has passed.
Environmental Science Camp @ Alma College, Alma
June 17, 2018
An event every week that begins at 12:00 am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, repeating until June 30, 2018
HOW GREAT ARE OUR LAKES?
This 2-week (14-day) intensive experience at Alma College provide students an opportunity to work in teams to develop a mini-documentary regarding the state of our Great Lakes using information gathered through field work, lab work, interviews and excursions. Students will:
- Utilize a combination of science, videography, and good story-telling techniques
- Make a mini-documentary highlighting the plight of the Great Lakes
- Work with research experts and professionals in their field
- Gather information from multiple sites around the state, interview stakeholders
- Learn valuable skills as a videographer
Student documentaries will also be shared with local and state officials including City Commissioners, lawmakers in Lansing as well as the Governor’s office.
This experience costs $1,500 per student. Room and board, meals, and 3 college credits are included in this price.
Who should attend?
Any high school student who is interested in science, policy, and/or videography.
What is the value of this experience?
Students enrolled will gain valuable skills and experiences including:
- College course credit (3 credits)
- Working with experts in the field
- Using state-of-the-art field, laboratory, and video production equipment
- Producing results gathered from student sampling
- Interacting with impacted community members, community leaders and those utilizing watersheds
- Working with lawmakers and stakeholders responsible for addressing problems and issues in the Great Lakes