- This event has passed.
Teacher Research Intern
July 9, 2018 - July 12, 2018
An event every week that begins at 12:00am on Monday, repeating until August 16, 2018
Consider applying to be a paid summer intern for the Dow Science and Sustainability Education Center (DSSEC). Middle and high school science teachers, high school students, and SVSU undergraduate students are welcome to apply for an opportunity to participate in scientific research during the summer with SVSU faculty. SVSU faculty will be directing projects in the areas of biochemistry, biology, geography, chemistry, and engineering; however, each project is closely aligned with the Saginaw Bay Environmental Science Institute (SBESI). You may also choose to earn Teacher Education 601 (Science, Sustainability, and Education) credits, but you will be responsible for paying tuition.
Dow SSEC timing:
- Teacher applications are due March 16 to Adrianne Cole (email@example.com).
- Anticipated funding decisions to award teacher interns will be made by April 13.
- Summer internship program orientation day – July 9.
- Dow SSEC Poster Symposium – August 16.
- Dow SSEC project reflection paper/report due – August 16, 2018.
Teacher Intern eligibility, functions, and compensation:
Preference will be given to middle and high school STEM teachers in the Great Lakes Bay region.
- Serve as liaisons between faculty directors and high school students
- Supervise the research group consisting of the high school and undergraduate students
- Conduct research under the guidance of the faculty intern director
- Assist students in composing final project posters and attend the poster symposium on August 16.
- Write a final, 3 page reflection paper.
$87.50/half day (4 hrs.) or $175/full day (8 hrs.) for 4 days per week (Monday – Thursday) over 6 weeks.