STEM Pipeline Blog / April 11, 2021
Michigan 4-H-Explore Your Way with STEM
4-H believes young people can change the world unlike any other group of people. Young people have innovative ideas, exuberant energy, and their minds are open to limitless possibilities. We have all heard the phrase “children are the future”, but we believe young people are leaders TODAY, and making their communities better places to live.
Many people think Michigan 4-H is just for kids who live on farms or those interested in raising and selling animals – but that’s not true! As a program of Michigan State University Extension, 4-H offers a diverse range of topics and interest areas and is the largest youth development organization, outside of K-12 education, in Michigan. Each year more than 200,000 young people explore what interests and excites them as they grow through Michigan 4-H. Projects range from science to Japanese culture to clothing to politics to cooking and so much more. Whatever the project, 4-H empowers young people with skills to lead for a lifetime and become the foundation for future success. After all, true leaders aren’t born: they’re grown!
The 4-H mission is to create non-formal, experiential, educational opportunities designed to connect in-school learning with out-of-school time activities that help youth thrive in a complex and changing world.
Youth who participate in 4-H Youth Development STEM Programs:
- Connect to the cutting-edge research of Michigan State University Extension
- Explore interests through fun and engaging hands-on learning experiences
- Receive support by volunteers grounded in principles of positive youth development
- Become active citizens through their service and leadership while recognizing, understanding, and appreciating diversity
- Develop personal and interpersonal skills such as leadership, teamwork, communication, self-esteem, and responsibility
4-H STEM Program Highlight
Whether you are a teacher or parent, experienced or not, this free online course has all the information you need to bring youth an in-depth, educational experience during the pandemic and beyond. The course contains a curriculum complete with background information, worksheets, videos and a space to ask questions.
Youth explore the developmental process and stages of chicken growth, basic chicken reproduction, and cell division. Through this program, youth will also gain a deeper respect for life and the value of living things as their understanding of the care required for a living thing grows. Learn more about the Michigan 4-H Embryology program and register today!
4-H STEM Resources
4-H offers a many different STEM resources for youth, families, teachers, and communities.
- 4-H Science Blast Activities
- Animal Science Anywhere
- Teaching Science When You Don’t Know Diddly-Squat
- Inquiring Minds Want to Know: Science Activities for Young Minds
- Michigan 4-H Heads In Hearts In: A Delivery Approach to Family Enrichment Programming
- 4-H At Home STEM Activities – Whether you’re a 4-H member, a virtual learner, a homeschooler or just looking for some quick and fun activities to take your interests to the next level, 4-H at Home has something for everyone.
- National Youth Summit Series – Weekend-long learning events that grow and develop skills that students can use in their own lives and share with their communities.
- National STEM Challenge – The 4-H STEM Challenge is an annual initiative to inspire kids everywhere to take an interest in STEM.
- Junk Drawer Robotics – Explore the design and function of robotic arms, build machines that roll, slide, draw or move underwater and explore robot mobility. See more at STEM ideas at National 4-H Curriculum.
4-H STEM Events
Coding Weekend May 22-23, 2021
Students will spend four days (2 weekends) learning how to code and develop a personal website. MSU Extension is partnering with CodeNow and Code Nation, leaders in coding instruction, to provide the course content.
Wild Spartans Series
Monthly-May Join 4-H staff as we take a look into life working with fisheries and wildlife! Meet researchers, learn about their field work, and the education and career path they’ve followed to get there.
4-H Animal and Vet Science Camp
This five-day pre-college program held at Michigan State University is a partnership with the Michigan 4-H Youth Development, MSU Department of Animal Science and MSU College of Veterinary Medicine. Youth will explore fields relating to animal and veterinary medicine.
4-H Spartan Coding Camp
Whether you have prior computer coding knowledge, or have never even thought about it, you will gain valuable coding skills at this fun STEM camp.
← Blog Archives