STEM Pipeline Blog / February 8, 2021
Girls and STEM: Girl Scout Activities at home!
At Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan, we believe in the power of girls experiencing the world of STEM and using their skills and imagination to innovate and create the future of their dreams. Imagine your girl taking on some of the biggest challenges and problems our planet faces—and helping solve them. What if she grew up to have an engaging and well-paid career one day? She could use her imagination to create the future.
Research shows that girls are keenly interested in STEM and excel at it. Yet, for a variety of reasons, girls often don’t pursue STEM—starting as early as elementary school.
At Girl Scouts, we are on a mission to change that! Let your girl see that STEM can help her make the world a better place. Girl Scouts who participate in girl-focused STEM programs:
- Become better problem-solvers, critical thinkers, and inspirational leaders
- Get better grades, earn scholarships, and follow more lucrative career paths
- See STEM as the foundation for a meaningful and successful future
Perhaps she’d like to…build a robot, create an app, invent a medical device, develop a video game, design a car, protect the world’s wildlife, send a spacecraft to a galaxy far away, cure a disease, keep the ocean clean, study the stars… The possibilities are truly endless!
Clearly, STEM can take her anywhere she wants to go. Girl Scouts offers a variety of options for girls to start their STEM journey and explore all of the possibilities. Some of our programming includes:
- Automotive Engineering: Girls learn about designing, engineering, and manufacturing vehicles, as well as the future of mobility. They design their own vehicles, test prototypes, learn about design thinking, create their own assembly line manufacturing process, and more,
- Engineering: Think Like an Engineer. Girls discover how to think like an engineer by participating in hands-on design challenges and completing a Take Action project.
- Computer Science: Think Like a Programmer. Girls learn how programmers solve problems by participating in interactive computational-thinking activities and complete a Take Action project.
- Outdoor STEM: Think Like a Citizen Scientist. Girls participate in interactive activities to learn how scientists solve problems using the scientific method. Girls practice observation, collect data, and complete a citizen science project. Then they create their Take Action project.
New STEM Programs
This last year, we launched brand new programming for girls to take the next step in building their STEM expertise!
- STEM Career Exploration Cadettes discover new career interests and connect to in-demand jobs as they learn about six different STEM fields: computer science, nature/environment, engineering, design, health, and agriculture. They explore related opportunities and see how by pursuing a career in these areas they can make the world a better place.
- Automotive Design Brownies explore transportation, mobility, and vehicle design. They learn about how we use vehicles for different purposes as well as take on a design challenge to create a specialized vehicle that meets the needs of unique audiences: a mobile clinic for a veterinarian, a vehicle to transport a sports team and their equipment, or a mobile maker space for kids.
Social Media Programs
Here at Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan, we have prepared a variety of STEM-based, interactive program videos that are available to all girls on our YouTube Channel. We also produce videos bi-weekly that may be of interest for your girl – check them out on our Facebook page!
- DIY Snow
- Science Behind the Eyes
- Light Refraction & Suncatcher Craft
- DIY Tin Lamp
- Iron in Food Experiment
The options don’t end there – we constantly have both virtual and in-person (COVID-19 restriction dependent) events for your girl to check out. View our full list of programs at gshom.org/events.
Together, let’s help girls experience the life-changing magic of girl-led STEM programming. She’s worth it!
**The Girl Scouts Heart of Michigan is a participant in the STEM Passport. Visit and attend (virtual or in-person) events and receive a $25 gift card courtesy of MiSTEM. Learn more: https://www.stempipeline.com/out-of-school-time/stem-passport-2020-2021/
← Blog Archives